Retreat - July 21-22 , 2017
First Steps with First Nations
Every retreat is designed with 4 things in mind:
- AWARENESS: to dive into a topic and learn something new; something important!
- EDUCATION: to grow in knowledge so your leadership is well informed - helpful rather than harmful.
- ACTION: to be inspired to respond in a meaningful way that is true to you and the community God has placed you.
- TRANSFORMATION: to be open to listen to God and how he is moving you to your next steps.
AND..we aim to have a blast while doing it!
Only 8 Spots available.
Cost is $30/person to be paid prior to the retreat.
This retreat is designed to introduce participants to the Story of First Nations People in
Canada and the healing process of reconciliation that is required.
Leaders are willing to learn hard things that require wisdom, humility, courage and tenacity that lean into peaceful resolutions.
We'll spend our time diving into the following:
- The History of First Nations in Canada and the Church's role, particularly in Residential Schools
- The current state that First Nations communities are in
- Considering the role the dominant-culture played and how we fit into that today.
- Field Trip! Admission to the Grand River Pow-Wow where we'll watch, learn and EAT fantastic native cusine!
- ...and there are some surprises baked in that will rock ya!
Location & Schedule
Friday, July 21
- 4:30pm - Leave from BIC Canada Office in Oakville (@The Meeting House, 2700 Bristol Circle)
- 5:00pm - Eat dinner along the way!
- 7:00 - Arrive at Five Oaks Conference Center close to Brantford. Get settled in!
- 7:30 - Evening program, ending with a cozy campfire
- 12:00am - Lights Out! (We're staying in the chalet!)
Saturday, July 22
- 8:00am - Rise & Shine Breakfast!
- 9:30am - Morning Program with breaks & snacks
- 12:00pm- Lunch & pack up.
- 1:00pm - Field Trip! Afternoon Session includes a trip to the Woodland Heritage Museum and the near-by Residential School
- 3:30pm - Travel to Grand River Pow-Wow
- 5:00pm - Dinner at the Pow-Wow...experience delicious authentic native cuisine!
- 8:00pm - Leave and return to offices in Oakville for 9:00pm